Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Counting Stars

Dear Followers,

May 25. Seems like years have passed since then. In the moments between the last time I posted and today, I have finished AP Exams and SAT II Subject Tests, said goodbye to some good friends who I only met this year, and accumulated nearly an hour of miscellaneous footage of candid high schoolers. I even got Mr. Skerbitz to admit that he loved me. Looks like I can cross off a life goal now.

As the clock is ticking down and Minnesota heats up to a whopping 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) many of us are just itching to bust out of school tomorrow to begin a well deserved 3 months of summer vacation. I’m not.

For me, the excitement of summer is simply the feeling of the last few weeks of school filled with anticipation for the adventures to come. My mouth waters with the thought of freshly sliced watermelon (by katana) filled with tiny black seeds and melt-in-your mouth s’mores fresh from a crackling (upgraded zergling) evening bonfire. I spend my remaining school days imagining long days playing soccer and long nights playing Starcraft. All of these ideas are always flying through my head when the final bell rings.

In reality, many of my summer dreams fail to materialize.

Soon the realization that many of my friends have their own summer plans and will soon be flying across the globe or the nation for the summer hits me. Soon the realization that much of my summer will be spent working just as hard as during the school year or watching anime in solitude hits me. In short, the magic of summer wears off quickly, leaving me anxious for school to start once more.

I am not saying that I don’t enjoy summer vacation. Summer vacation is a remarkable time where I have made late night trips to McDonalds, squished together with 3 other men on a train ride to Paris, and nearly broken my leg when playing soccer with an over-aggressive soccer fanatic. I am simply coming to terms with the somber realization that summer is not a magical time which is free of worries.

Nostalgia is being a punk and kicking in as well. This whole year I have been saying I am a junior without giving any extra thought to how close I am to graduating. In one year, this journey is over. When the seniors left last week, this very fact became more apparent to me than ever.

That’s why for these past two weeks I have been relishing every moment I can with everybody together. That’s why for these past two weeks I have been improving my sniping skills to get some memorable shots of everybody that will last forever in the confines of my computer’s secret folders.

Speaking of the seniors, I can’t thank you all enough for making my junior year one of my most memorable. Who would’ve thought that such amazing individuals where under the same roof, and often in the same classroom, as me for the past 3 years? I really regret not stepping out of my social boundaries and for not being able to spend as much time with all of you as I could have. Good times. I wish you the best for college!

With all this in mind, I plan on making this summer amazing. Time to act on these summer dreams.


Cozy, I really hope that you remember about our plan to release hundreds of red balloons this summer. Jeff, we are marathoning Shugo Chara. And Ground Defense Force Mao-Chan. Evan, I am going to have to stay at your house for a while… I am expecting some mapo dofu. Ishmam and Raph, we need to get moving on A-Wing. Samantha, you are going to wear the dresses I make for you whether you want to or not. Bradley, I expect you to catch more fish next time. Oliver, you aren’t going to break my bunker anymore. Aronovich, we are going to get some Indian food in Chicago. James, I am going to kick your ass in tennis. Spencer, keep colossus healthy.

Watch your back. S@$% just got real.

Another Reflection,
Noel

2 comments:

Raph said...

if we're doing this, i'll need some sort of thumb-nail sketch of each page, so i know how panels are laid out and what goes in them. once i have that, i can sketch the entire thing in a day or two. then you and ish can work on detailing, filling texts in, coloring, etc.

NoelVermillion said...

I like the way you ponder sir.

Post a Comment