Saturday, June 11, 2011

When I Was A Kid, I Smoked A Lot Of Weed

Dear Followers,

While my mentor is making his daily run to Starbucks coffee to chat up the transvestite who works the register, purchase his Grande Cappuccino and Raspberry Chocolate Cake, and work his magic with University of Minnesota females (I usually picture the lemur from "Madagascar"), I guess I will spend my time catching up on anime and blogging while he is gone. Marathoning "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" was confusing. And a slap in the face.

Behind me, Matt is rocking out to 89.3 The Current on his laptop. God Matt, you are so damn Indie. To my left, Robyn is watching a mouse consume species while answering Jaqui questions regarding which primers to use for her double digest reaction. Even though they are a room away, I can hear the Japanese interns going crazy over koi shopping. Meanwhile, Jon is cleaning the gel electrophoresis machines in the sink. Yep, looks like Jon is the only one doing work around here. Again.

I really love the laid back feeling of my lab. Before coming here last August, I had a very different mental image of a university lab. I pictured a bleak and metallic room filled with lifeless technology and researchers who were so absorbed in their research that they barely spoke to anybody else. Instead, the summer sun shines through our giant windows overlooking Stadium Village and bathes our rich lab garden, cared for by Robyn, and not a day goes by without a group pep talk and joking session.

Apart from the amazing opportunity I have been given to be actively involved in cutting-edge scientific investigation, working in Bagchi lab has made me feel more connected to the scientific community than I ever though possible. I get to speak to the man who invented Sleeping Beauty Transposons whenever I want to. I am allowed to freely experiment with technology I could only previously dream about. I am allowed to voice my opinions amidst scientists young and old during CGE meetings.

Feeling accepted amongst society's scientific intellectuals and leaders is a wondrous feeling indeed.

Well, that's all of the time I have today. Dr. Anindya Bagchi is back and is motioning for me to get ready for work. As I slip on my neon green protective gloves and pick up my DNA samples, I can't help but think about how I have one of the funnest jobs in the world.

F*@& Businessmen, Just A Bunch Of Pricks,
Noel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeeeeeee

Post a Comment