Sunday, April 15, 2012

Second Opinion: Higashi no Eden (A, 97.50%)

Original: Johnny Hunt (November 28, 2010)


Since originally posting my review, I have finished the series by watching the two following movies, Paradise Lost and King of Eden which are both fantastic and feature fantastic music by School Food Punishment music as well.


I have anime depression. The journey of the American otaku is an emotional rollercoaster. When you find that a good show you can feel on top of the world, but when the last credit jumps across the top of your computer screen one of several things may happen. You can close your video player window and head over to Facebook to comment on how much you loved or hated the ending, scan the internet on search engines for any thread of information pertaining to a new season, or just slowly realize that there is no more left to watch. What I am experiencing right now is a mix of all three.




This Thanksgiving break left me with so much time that I didn't even know what to do. For some unexplainable reason (probably Jesus), my download speeds were astronomically high this weekend, and I was boosting 2.4 mb/sec downloads day and night. Album after album, show after show, my external hard drive was slowly enjoying a Thanksgiving meal all weekend. As I was searching for more torrents to devour, I came across something very unusual: Higurashi no Eden (Eden of The East). I was fresh out of case of Darker Than Black depression, so anything seemed good and I was soon watching the first episode on my computer.



I loved this show. Seeing as 2010 is one of the worst years for anime in history, I was really glad to pick up this gem on the internet. I would love to talk about a basic premise, but this show is so confusing that I really don't know where to start. Well, here goes nothing. On November 22, 2010, there was ten missile launched at Japan. Because nobody was hurt, the event became known as "Careless Monday." The show picks up some time after, when a mysterious man named Akira Takizawa introduces himself to a Japanese woman named Saki Morimi in Washington DC. The thing is, he is completely naked and appears to have no memory.


SECOND OPINION: Yeah, I remember the first episode of Higashi no Eden very well. Even now, I can't help but smile when I describe it. Higashi no Eden remains one of my favorite shows for its artistic and literary achievements. Yes, the narrative is a bit muddled around, but hey, it is incredibly interesting. The premise of the game was really a good vehicle for uncovering different messages concerning humanity, especially in relation to the use of power.




Akira soon discovers that his is part of a game involving twelve other contestants who are given ¥10 billion to save Japan. Known as the Seleção, they are each equipped with special cell phones and are able to use the phone operator, Juiz, to fulfill any kind of order for a price. This makes for some very creative scenarios throughout the show, including requests that call for two people to shower together and for a French movie to be delivered to a move theater. However if the money is used up completely or for selfish purposes, the individual will be eliminated.




I won't go any farther with the story. This show is well put together, from start to end. Every scene is carefully crafted, and the wordplay and character designs are unique and believable. A combination of slapstick and highbrow humor give this show a unique feel that is hard to find in the age of cookie-cutter anime. The background art is exceptional. The amount of detail put into each scene is remarkable for an anime, and as you follow the characters through Washington DC, New York City, and Toyosu you really get a feel for each individual location. Everything down to the music just feels right, and the soundtrack boasts one of the best debut bands that I have ever heard (School Food Punishment).


SECOND OPINION: Wow, I wrote this review really well. This review perfectly sums up my opinion about the show even now. This show meshes with my personality very well with a good collection of humor, action, and romance. Shows like Eden of The East remind me of why I continue to watch anime as a creative medium. While I wish I could have gotten a bit more closure from the series (I mean some of the Seleção haven't even been revealed), I am incredibly glad that I tagged along for the ride.




What killed me the most about this series is how short it is. Spanning 11 episodes, the ending of Eden of the East leaves you wanting more and while the two feature films help soften the blow, I can't get over this feeling of emptiness after watching such a beautiful masterpiece. This reflection is obviously biased. My personality meshes extremely well with the type of style adopted in Eden of the East, but most people probably won't see the kind of things that I saw when I watched this show. Whatever. I only wish all terrorists were as slick as Akira Takizawa.


Story: 9/10 - Somewhat confusing and not completed resolved; The game is a fantastic vehicle for commenting on humanity; I couldn't wait to watch each episode.


Characters: 10/10 - Akira and Saki are just fun to watch; The Seleção are eccentric; The dialogue and character interactions are fresh and genuine.


Animation: 10/10 - Top-notch animation; This show capitalizes on a beautiful animation style with fantastic character models and background work; Crisp and fluid movement.


Music: 10/10 - Fantastic OP and ED which capture the essence of the show; Background music is always enjoyable to hear and meshes well with the environment.


Noblesse Oblige,
Noel

0 comments:

Post a Comment