Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dazzling The Stage

Dear Followers,

I cannot handle having this much free time. This whole week has felt so unproductive. I can’t shake this feeling of unproductivity, even though I have constantly confirmed that there is legitimately nothing more that I need to work on. I feel like Oliver He minus the fact that I have already done all of my homework in school. I guess that’s why there is such an increase in blog posts this week. Maybe I should pick up bowling. Whatever.


Today, fresh from Spanish 3 (lo siento Profe Pfeffer), I a bringing you my review of the ongoing show Star Driver. This is only my second review on this blog, but I will try my best to give you a MyAnimeList-eque review.

As always, I picked up watching Star Driver through a messy combination of events. When I was in Japan, I picked up a NewType featuring the show. I recognized the character on the front page right away because JZ had shown me some images in the computer lab when we were researching blogs for APCOMP. I dismissed Star Driver then as another one of JZ’s moe-moe shows. A mixture of YouTube related videos and peer recommendation pushed me to watch the first opening video one day. I was instantly hooked (You can check out the video below).


Well, here we go.

STORY: 8.5
Stick with Star Driver and your libido will thank you.

Star Driver takes place on the fictional Southern Cross Isle. One night, a boy named Takuto washes up on shore swimming from the mainland. He later enrolls in Southern Cross High School as a freshmen and makes new friends. However, beneath the school is a group of mysterious giants called Cybodies, which can be controlled by humans in an alternate dimension known as Zero Time. Takuto, The "Galactic Pretty Boy" (銀河美少年 Ginga Bishounen), finds himself dragged into opposition with the "Glittering Crux Brigade" (綺羅星十字団 Kiraboshi Juujidan), a mysterious group that intends to take possession of the island's Cybodies for their own purposes as well as break the seals of the island's four Shrine Maidens, whose powers prevent the Cybodies from functioning outside of Zero Time.” - Wikipedia


Yes, I know. Star Driver follows the classic high school students with the ability to operate giant robots formula (cough… Code Geass) which has become a staple in modern anime. All I can really say is that Star Driver takes every single cliché in the storytelling world, throws them into a blender, and then throws them at the wall to see what sticks.

Honestly, in the first episode we are introduced to a triangle-love relationship, a mysterious missing father, and island legend, and, of course, spontaneous robot appriovoisation. Unless you plan on spoiling the story with fanboy interweb speculations, you are going to be confused while watching this show.


However, this confusion was one of Star Driver’s saving graces, for me at least. I kept coming back for more because I was confused (damn you Studio BONES). While the introductory arch doesn’t stray much from a happy days-random dispute-new robot challenger-transformation sequence-moderate setback-overcoming moderate setback-explosion formula, the side story elements are more than enough to keep you going (Wako, make up your mind…).

If you manage to stick with Star Driver, things really begin to heat up (in more ways than one) around episode 15. As the bigger story comes more into play, the episodes become more complex and memorable. Star Driver, even while cliché and predictable, brings fresh new elements to spice up the classic mecha formula and I personally dig the tropical atmosphere. I am honestly down… “obtaining” Sunday’s new episodes immediately after release nowadays.


CHARACTERS: 9
In a world of endless Ginga Bishounens, Star Driver takes the prize.

The characters in Star Driver are one-dimensional and shallow (most of them anyways). Don’t expect any major character development here. However, Star Driver will occasionally throw you a curve ball when you least expect one. But, back to the characters. Star Driver has a plethora of “unique” (as in each one is a distinct cliché) characters. From the members of the GCB to just regular high school students, you could probably find all the high school student archetypes in the world in this show.


The weird thing about the characters in Star Driver is that they are all so darn likeable. I find myself cheering for the “bad” guys just as much as I was cheering for the “good” guys. All of the character interactions are very laid back in approach (I have a feeling these high school students are very sexually open) and there is never a rush to introducing characters and story elements. Through a slow series of events, the characters get to know one another one by one. Everyone in “reality” is fighting against one another, yet everything is just peachy outside of ”zero-time.” The only thing that really pisses me off is this vague triangle-relationship between Wako, Sugata, and Takuto.

ANIMATION/SOUND: 9.5
Star Driver genuinely dazzles the stage in every way.

We all know Studio Bones produces beautiful shows. Star Driver is no exception. Everything from character motion to the backgrounds are marvelously done in Star Driver. Studio Bones has really does a great job with choosing just the right environments to convey the right emotions for each scene. From the quiet dark blues during the night on the beach to the multicolored confusion of “zero-time,” everything just feels really natural allowing the show to flow at a casual pace. Star Driver is pure eye-candy most of the time, and Studio Bones did not shy away from bright and bold colors for this one.


The music, just like the visuals, are superbly done in Star Driver. Satoru Kousaki brings a good mix of island-styled music to the table. While I know some people cannot stand the monotone character of the 4 or 5 insert songs which have played during the show (Monochrome, Komorebi no Contact, Innocent Blue, Akiiro no Aria), I found them to be quite catchy and even energizing when combined with the repetitive yet youth-filled transformation sequence. During fight sequences, these insert songs generally fade into a much more majestic orchestral piece, and the combination helps build develop a sense of accomplishment in the viewer. Not to mention the OP and ED themes do work.

OP
“GRAVITY Ø” by Aqua Timez
"SHINING☆STAR" by 9 nine
ED
"Cross Over" by 9 nine
"Pride" by Scandal


SUMMARY: 9

Star Driver is a good show. While Star Driver isn’t redefining the mecha genre by any means, a collection of unique story elements, loveable characters, and beautiful animation come together for a good watch. Now, if only gg would stop trolling me with preview images of Samekh.

Your Galaxy Will Shine,
Noel

2 comments:

hlc said...

LLIIIBBBIIIIDOOOOOOOOO

hlc said...

ok sorry. im doing the slides.

Post a Comment