Monday, March 7, 2011

Every Song Has A Sequel

Dear Followers,


This weekend marked my conversion to hip hop. Weird how events play out sometimes. One day I was questioning my older brother’s musical tastes and the next I was singing Prof & St. Paul Slim songs in Alec Paulson’s car and downl… purchasing scores of hip hop albums. Related videos on YouTube, you have changed my life several times now. Once, you connected me from Jay Chou to Code Geass. Once, you connected me from Age of Empires to Starcraft. Now, you've connected me from Samurai Champloo to Nujabes.




What is hip hop? I don’t even know man. Wikipedia says hip hop is characterized by rhythmic beats formed by loop breaks and is often accompanied by the rhythmic style of chanting presented in 16 bar measures known as rap to imitate percussive elements of music and various technical effects of hip hop disc jockeys. What the hell does that even mean? I really believe music has no place to be classified nowadays. Good music is good music. Plain and simple.



Whatever I am listening to now, I guess hip hop would be the best description. From the refined beats of Nujabes to the electronic feel of Hocus Pocus, hip hop is extremely relaxing. Who would have thought Japan and France would have such big underground hip hop scenes? Speaking of Japan, as any of my 10 followers can tell by simply looking at my blog layout, I freaking love Japan. Hip hop is the cherry on top in my opinion. If you are down for some good Japanese beats, check out Nujabes (June Seba). If you can dig Nujabes, send him a prayer (yeah, I know Brad), because in the words of Derrick Comedy, he was a martyr for hip hop.




Hip hop and I didn’t really get off on the right foot. Back in my middle school days, I was infatuated with mainstream music. Like a teenage girl fresh from a group Cosmo session, I would flock to iTunes and “purchase” music from the billboard top 100 every week. I am not going to lie to you and get into all of this junk about how mainstream music sucks. Hell, I love some mainstream music. I can get my Gaga or Katy (IA/JZ approved) Perry on. The only thing is, as my eyes opened up to how much the world had to offer, my musical tastes adapted.



Well, this post was as carefully crafted as one of my AP European History prostitute cookies. Today was one of those days where I assumed I had a lot of work to do and ended up doing nothing. Whatever. Oliver He, finish your APUSH sections today or I will double your cookie debt. Never stop fighting kids.


Beat Laments The World,
Noel

2 comments:

hlc said...

shit mang. fml.

NoelVermillion said...

shape up man, shape up ~ Love, Nav

Post a Comment