Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gym Leader Defeated

Dear Followers,

Weird how my best ideas come to me in the shower. From deciding to memorize "GRAVITY Ø" by Aqua Timez for Raphael's birthday to solving Skerbitz's proof problem, I can always think clearest in my magical shower. My wonderful poem for Samantha Meyer was composed in my shower as well. Maybe because showering provides me with some time to just relax and think during my chaotic day. Garnier Fructis is the bomb by the way. Well, in short, the idea for this post came from the shower. Maybe you can relate to some of these moments as well. Enjoy.

5 Defining Moments Of My Life

5. Vikings Lose Playoff Game (1/17/1999)



Some of you may be surprised. Many of you don't associate me with sports in the least. However, while growing up with Shray Jain, one of the world's most dedicated sports fanatics, I couldn't possibly not be a Vikings fan. Yes, back in kindergarten I used to snuggle up against my dad's stomach every Sunday to watch the Vikings play. Considering that under the spectacular arm of quarterback Randall Cunningham the Vikings advanced into the playoffs with a 15-1 record in 1998, I may have developed a surreal understanding of Minnesota sports. Needless to say, the loss to the Falcon's in the playoffs was a slap in the face. I was heartbroken. Unlike my brother who had weathered the torment of Minnesota sports for years, I was not so fortunate. I became so disillusioned with sports overall that I decided to drop them completely. I don't know to this day if I made the right decision back then. Maybe if Butler pulls through this year for March Madness I will jump back in.

4. "Spirited Away" Released (9/20/2002)


Yes, this is that one anime movie which won an Academy Award. I was in 3rd grade when this movie came out, a simple boy in Mrs. Myrtle's class. One day, I asked my mom to go rent "Gumby" at Hollywood Video. When she got there, she had no idea what I was talking about, so she grabbed what she could and brought home "Spirited Away." Me, being my usual self, was so mad that I through a tantrum for 10 minutes before wearing myself out. Before I knew what was going on, I was watching "Spirited Away" while my dad was taping the video using his primitive pirating techniques involving two VCRs. I had no idea what to expect. I thought the dragon was a BAMF and No-Face scared the crap out of me. I was hooked. Once my dad had taped it, I watched "Spirited Away" over and over again and even forced Avi Kumar to watch it with me. Even though I thought it was a Disney film for years, "Spirited Away" represented one of my fist baby steps into the world of Japanese animation.

3. Fufa Ji Passes Away (2006)


For those of you who do not know, Fufa Ji is how we Indians say Uncle. My Uncle was one of the most influential male relatives I had as a child. Because there exists a deep schism between my dad and several of his siblings due to financial events which I do not understand to this day, my family usually only associated with my dad's sister's family. One day, maybe, I will be able to get to know the other 3 siblings as well, but I don't know if that will every happen. My dad's sister's family was overloaded with estrogen and is run by three very particular females. I was subject to having my cheeks squeezed, my fingernails painted, my hair done, and my clothing swapped for dresses while I was visiting my cousins. Fufa Ji was my saving grace. Taking me aside, he would lead me into his smoke filled room and show me model airplanes and cars he had collected over the years. When he died due to brain cancer, I experienced death personally for the first time.

2. Pokemon Gold/Silver Released (10/14/2000)



I could write a whole post on Pokemon alone. When Pokemon Red and Blue came out, I hated everything Pokemon. You know why? For so many countless hours I would be forced to watch my brother have the time of his life playing on his new Gameboy while I could only watch. Only when he had moved on to N64 and 007 Golden Eye did I have my chance to play. But by then, Red and Blue were ancient history. I remember when my dad brought Gold version home for the first time. I could barely control myself. I stayed up until 11 playing with my new lime-green Gameboy Color under my bedsheets with a flashlight. I loved my Pokemon. My Cyndaquill was my baby. I cried the first time I beat the Elite Four. Gold and Silver was truly my Pokemon generation. I blame Pokemon for my obsession with RPG's like Final Fantasy and for pushing me towards mainstream anime. Sometimes, when I am feeling nostalgic, I will pop my Gold version into my DS and play away. 8-bit never sounded so good.

1. September 11 Attacks (9/11/2001)



Oh yes. I remember this day from 2nd grade vividly. I woke up late after a long night of playing lava tag with my brother on his bed (I slept with him when I was younger because I wasn't brave enough to sleep alone). As I stumbled downstairs and grabbed some cereal, my dad was watching the news and telling me to come over. I got up and walked over to see what was going on. On the television screen I could see a building on fire. Suddenly, a plane came onto the screen and hit the adjacent building. My dad was crying. Assuming that these two buildings were the towers in Minnetonka, I asked me dad to get ready so we could see them. He didn't answer. My mom had to take me to school that day. At school, everything was silent. Teachers were crying and everybody was watching the news. Only when Mrs. Scheef explained to our class what had happened did things become clear. Much of my opinion of America was shaped on that day. 9/11 is one of the few events in American history which make me want to protect this nation.

There we go. In unrelated news, I will be a sad snail this weekend as both Star Driver and Fractale come to an end. Maybe Spring Break can help cheer me up. Maybe.

Ecruteak City,
Noel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. OMG YOU HAD A TEACHER NAMED MRS. MYRTLE? (yep, I'm thinking HP ^_^ )

2. :( about your fufaji and 9/11

3. Little Naveen is so cute.

Blackthorn City, :P
Rishi

Post a Comment